Wednesday, January 6, 2010

poem of mine just appeared in New Millenium Writings!

LOVE WILL TAKE ALL
July 2006

Love will take all your frogs
And put them in pools of water.
Having dreamed that declaration, cogs
of my sleeping brain mesh, judging
that I ought to think about it. Now
awake in flesh I am the frogs, the pools,
the poet, puzzled. Open to Dreamteller's meaning,
I take note it is oddly 2:34, think of Hubble
snapping Saturn while I dream my own
muddled dream, ribbled green, shiny and torpid
as the Milky Way that traipses overhead.
No other guides in that stellar land of Nod.

Muzzled in sleep beside me you lie so dear
your quiet profile a deadringer for Sety One's
sere mummy we saw in Cairo, even your hands
crossed pharoahlike on your living
breathing chest, only your whispery snore
the starry certainty I need to understand
that on this febrile cloud-clad planet nothing
lasts forever but this moment, this
waking amazed to know you are here, now,
beside me by some miracle, making it clear
that love will take all your frogsand put them in pools of water.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Katie!

    Just popping in to say hello, and to share a few of my thoughts. A little more than ten years ago I found "Fair Day, and another step begun" in a used book store. I initially bought it because of the cover and the beautiful sound of the title ... those were the things that grabbed my attention (and still sometimes do) when looking through used book stores. The cover was a little retro ... I believe it was the 1980 version of the book.

    I fell in love with that book, honestly. I probably read it about 15 times. I cherished that book and kept it in my stash of novels. When I left for university, I left it, and all my other books that I couldn't bring with me, behind (very sad!). Due to my family moving while I was at university, I haven't seen the book since.

    I'm now a teacher and recently read a book which featured a pregnant teen. It reminded me of "Fair Day, and another step begun" ... however I couldn't for the life of me remember the title!!!! Nor could I remember your name (I'm sorry!!) Wow! How such important things can escape our minds, I will never know. But, let me tell you, I have been on a mad search for the past five days (while not at work) through the internet trying to track this book title down, and I let out a yelp of happiness when I finally found it!! Now, all I need to do is track down a copy of it and reread this most special book.

    I guess I just felt the need to share this with you because I wanted you to know how much I loved that book during my adolescence. I can't wait to read this book again. And I vow to never forget the name of this book (or you!) ever again!

    ReplyDelete